Tuesday, February 19, 2008

my weakness is talking

Writing is very therapeutic! You were right, Jeff! So here I am again...writing. I struggle with speaking. I can't seem to find the right words that fit together and make sense. I stumble on my words a lot and can never get across my point. GR...Tonight I was talking with a friend at Starbucks. We have been friends since our freshman year in high school, and I love this girl to death. She isn't Christian, but I have been praying that God will allow himself to speak through me to her. I don't have the words that she needs to hear...but I sure tried tonight. She went to catholic school for a few years as a child, but doesn't believe in God, but she said she does not NOT believe in God either. She is an agnostic, I guess? She always thought that Christians and Catholics were the same, which...I'm not even sure the difference...I just know we don't pray to Mary or carry rosary's around. My friend is someone who does NOT want religion pushed on her. And neither would I. It's offensive to someone who doesn't know. She did have all these questions, some of which I did not know the answers to. But I just wanted to get across the point that we are all sinners, and no one is perfect. Even those Christians that think they are perfect...um, they aren't. She has an aunt that is a very hypocritical catholic....not to say that we aren't guilty of being unchristian, but she is very condescending. So a. we are sinners. b. God sent himself in human form to be tried and tested so he could relate to us and ultimately die on the cross for our sins so we could be saved from Hell. c. there is someone who loves us more than we could ever possibly realize. Now all these were said in a UNPUSHY way. I didn't want her to feel like I was saying she had to believe this. She was curious...had some questions, and I silently prayed the whole way through that God would give me the words to say so that I wouldn't scare her away from Him. I mean...that is a big responsibility. I didn't do that great of a job, but I told her I would let her borrow some of my books, because she is interested in just knowing about it. I don't think I convinced her tonight that God exists and that Jesus is the way, the truth, and the light. But I pray to God that I got her thinking and contemplating it.

God, I pray for my friend, that you would help me to speak to her in a way that she would "get it". We all fall short of the glory of God, but you love us regardless. Please show her this, Lord. And please be there when I need the words to say, because without you I'm a rambling idiot.

2 comments:

Jeff Reininger said...

hey, at least you're a rambling idiot for Jesus! that's awesome that you love enough to share your faith. no matter what you said, it's better than saying nothing at all, which would have been a lot easier. as for her being catholic, believe me..i understand. i was raised catholic and went to catholic school for 12 years. if anyone understands what it means to doubt the existence of God, it would be me. catholics can do that to you! being catholic, you just really never feel connected or personal with God. God just seems distant and confusing...that's why so many kids never 'get it'. we all need something and someone to relate to. keep praying on it. and perhaps invite her to church next Sunday or to if... or whatever else we may be doing. perhaps she just needs to see God from a new perspective...i know i did! you don't need to know all the answers!

Lela Kay said...

May I say that you are far better than me at this point, as I have tried to talk with a friend of mine that isn't a God follower at all and the fact that you had an entire conversation about God is just a wonderful thing! I have tried and tried again to talk about God for months now, but conversation always seems to switch to something else quickly. I just continue to pray for the words and the timing when it is more important to share the whole truth, then to be obliging to switch topics! It's a struggle for me for sure. I battle that hey, at this moment, it is more important for me to keep any line of communciation open between us (as I may be one of her only Chrisitan friends) than to offend and close that door entirely. Someday, that may change. I wait and see what the Lord is telling me!

It is great your friend is showing interest and the great thing is, you were there to spark some of those thoughts. Good for you. Keep at it. God was smiling the whole while, I know!